Forum Thread: I Bought a Used Mac Pro, It Has a Admin Password on It and I Can't Get into It to Reset. I Have Tried Every Suggestion T

Step 1:

I Bought a Used Mac Pro, It Has a Admin Password on It and I Can't Get into It to Reset. I Have Tried Every Suggestion That Is on Apple Website, but None of Them Work Aka Hold the C, Command R, Option T, Etc. I Have a Feeling That There Is a Bios Lock. What Can I Do to Fix This.

2 Responses

First up, why not ask the previous owner for the password?

Can't do that? Maybe try this:

1. Power on your Mac.
  2. After you hear the chime, press and hold COMMAND and R together for a few seconds. You will boot into your Recovery.
  3. From here, select "OS X Utilities" then in the menu bar up top, select Utilities -> Terminal.
  4. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and hit Enter.
  5. On the Reset Password window, click the volume, select the account name, and enter a new password and verify it. Then "Save" it.
  6. Restart your Mac by going the menu bar… Apple -> OS X Utilities -> Quit OS X Utilities -> Restart.
  7. After starting up, log in to the admin account.

I know this is a 3 year old article, but I created an account just to say thank you. I had a co-worker that was very frustrated with this exact scenario today and now she thinks I'm a tech-savvy wiz. Thanks for keeping this up for all this time and thanks to Justin for the PERFECT response!

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active